Tuesday, July 3, 2012

About This Blog

I was told I could blog about whatever I want. I suspect that you don't want that. I spend a lot of time thinking about lasers, dragons, training rats, politics, killing rats, using lasers to kill rats, wondering if dragons would even bother to eat rats, etc. You probably aren't interested in most of what I think about.  So what to write?

Right now my vague plan is to give my readers a peek behind the curtain of the college faculty. I think all too often students come to class, sit and listen, and then sprint to their cars and drive home with nary a thought as to the effort put forth to bring knowledge into the classroom. What I would like to do is inform about what it takes for a professor to prepare for class, what other things faculty do outside the classroom, what the scholarship of teaching and learning means for me, what research I've been doing on my teaching, and maybe some stories about the classroom and/or me.

I was nearly a clergyman (well an aptitude test suggested it as a career), so maybe I'll use the principles of homiletics in the preparation of my posts. That is to say I'll try to string posts together within a theme of some sort. I'm planning two strings of post right now the first of which is a continuation of the "about me" post from last week to relate my history at SCC from hire to now. The second string of posts will be about cellphones in the classroom and some research I've conducted on how they effect (for good and ill) student learning.


2 comments:

  1. I would like to know why you think about killing rats. Your first paragraph is interesting. I don't think I'm alone in wanting to know what makes you think about killing rats with lasers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that lots of people think of killing rats, but when I think about it I am remembering when I was a graduate student, and killed rats as part of research. The lasers part is just idle-time whimsy.

      Delete