I did the same thing a lot of new faculty do -- I read the text book, downloaded the powerpoints supplied by the publisher, and perused the Instructors Resource Manual (IRM). The IRM was a binder that had been given to me that had a HUGE amount of instructions about how to run lectures, what sort of activities one could do and a bunch of other
|A PowerPoint Wall of Text|
Then I went nuts. I made a disturbing amount of assignments, rubrics, and activities. I tweaked and re-tweaked my syllabus. Ultimately deciding to run an experimental classroom where I did things way differently than I had before. Each semester from then until now I've had experimental elements in my class trying to find out exactly what works for me, to achieve the classroom that I want. Never once though have I felt "prepared" by the time the semester starts. I always feel there is more I could do ahead of time if only I had more time.
afghan of teaching (or liberty blanket of learning I suppose).
For those of you that are interested here is my syllabus complete with a list of assignments my students will likely do this semester (Fall 2012). I, of course, reserve the right to alter this at my own capricious whimsy. Oh I guess that is one new thing I'm doing this semester; I put my syllabus on my Google Drive as a Google Doc.